cake

cupcakes

Friday, October 22, 2010

Flower Power!

Let me begin by saying that this month has been insane. Life as a wife/mother/book keeper/volunteer/PTA mom/soccer mom/cake decorator is pretty time consuming. Due to these reasons I have been slacking on the blog posts! Today, I will show you what I have been up to in my cake class for the last three weeks.

Our first class, we worked with a gum paste and fondant mixture to make two different flowers.

First, the pansy. The pansy requires two different colors of the mixture, a fondant roller, a fondant cutter, a small and large sponge and a fondant shaping tool. It takes about 5-8 minutes per flower after the mixture has been made and colored. VERY TIME CONSUMING!! Very lifelike!

The next flower is a pressed button flower. It required the same mix of fondant and gum paste in two different colors, a flower press, fondant shaping tools, a fondant roller, and gum paste glue. It is less lifelike but very adorable. It takes about 5 minutes to make.


The next week, we began using royal icing. I am used to this type of icing from all the gingerbread houses I have made over the years. I have never used it in this way before. The first flowers are the small, delicate apple blossoms. Very sweet! They are about the same size as a penny.
The next flower was the primrose. This way my favorite up until this point. Very pretty and easier to make. They are half dollar sized.


The next week we were still using royal icing. Another dainty flower, the violet.
Daffodils were next. They are very interesting to make and smaller than I assumed they would be. They also are around the size of a half dollar.

Roses, grrrr.....These will take MUCH more practice on my part. This was my best. Very frustrating flower to make, for me.
Next are my actual favorite flower and my favorite flower to make. Lilies. They are beautiful and require little effort. I will be using these for my final cake next week.

Here is my little homemade garden. All edible, some more pretty than others. I am excited to add these to my repertoire. Hope you enjoy looking!










1 comment:

Followers